The LSCR Unix team maintains a number of servers for departments and
work groups within the College of Letters and Science.
We support Linux (RHEL, CentOS, and Ubuntu) servers,
running on Intel and AMD architectures.
Typically, our team handles the core system administration of a
server, but in some cases we share administrative responsibilities
with departmental personnel or users of a particular server.
Services we provide
- Hardware purchase consultation.
- Hardware and software (OS) installation.
- OS maintenance (patch installations and upgrades).
- File services: NFS, SMB.
- Mail server (we recommend CalMail hosting).
- Database server (typically MySQL).
- Web server (Apache).
- Directory services (e.g., NIS or LDAP).
- Application software installation,
including open source software as well as commercial packages.
- Disk space management:
Tape backups and restores, log rotation.
- User management: Account and email address addition and deletion.
- Security: OS hardening, vulnerability testing and log monitoring.
- Security incident response: We are available to assist in
repairing the damage from a security incident even if we were
not managing the machine at the time of the incident.
Updater: Tom Holub. Last reviewed: October 01, 2012